The Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) helps people to realize the benefits of their countries’ endowments of oil, gas and minerals. We do this through technical advice, advocacy, applied research, policy analysis, and capacity development. We work with innovative agents of change within government ministries, civil society, the media, legislatures, the private sector, and international institutions to promote accountable and effective governance in the extractive industries. For more information, please see www.resourcegovernance.org.
NRGI is hiring a Myanmar senior officer to support the implementation of NRGI's 2015-2018 Myanmar strategy. As part of the country team, the new hire will be actively involved in NRGI's multifaceted engagement with civil society organizations, government institutions and other key stakeholders in the extractive industry as the government, led by the National League for Democracy (NLD), embarks on a series of economic and political reforms for improved resource governance where Myanmar citizens realize the long-term benefits of their natural wealth. Working closely with and reporting to the Myamar manager, the senior officer has dual roles in advancing NRGI’s Myanmar country strategy and project management and oversight.
Advancing the Myanmar Country Strategy
- Coordinate the design and delivery of research and capacity building plans.
- Coordinate grants support to civil society organizations.
- Support the Myanmar manager in providing technical assistance to the Myanmar government.
- Support the Myanmar manager in writing updates and analysis on relevant policies on Myanmar extractives.
- Where appropriate, represent NRGI in conferences, workshops and donor coordination meetings in consultation with the Myanmar manager.
- Ensure timely monitoring, evaluation & learning (MEL) process for the delivery of Myanmar strategy and program.
Project Management and Oversight
- Serve as a deputy to the country manager, providing oversight on project management and compliance.
- Ensure the preparation and execution of the country budgets.
- Compliance with donor reporting requirements and working with partners on grant and contract requirements.
- Deputized to manage the country office administration, logistics and compliance.
Education and professional experience:
- University degree with preference for a master’s degree in law, development studies, political science, public policy, journalism, economics, sociology or related fields
- At least five (5) years of directly relevant experience in managing or coordinating programs on development , environmental and social governance, public administration, public finance, policy advocacy, journalism or related fields, including experience in program supervision and/or management
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities that affect the governance of natural resources in Myanmar, including transparency and accountability, environmental and human rights protection, poverty, conflict and peace, economic development, fiscal management, and public policy reforms, among others
- Ability to initiate productive interaction with the government, civil society or companies through policy dialogue or other platforms
- Demonstrated record in coordinating quality research, analysis and capacity building activities with results
- Experience in reporting and managing donor relationships effectively
- Excellent writing and editing skills (shortlisted candidates will be asked to do a writing exercise and share samples of their written products)
- Fluency in English and Myanmar language(s)
- Experience in grant management
- Experience in advocacy and running campaign with others
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity to work independently
- A team player, integrity and professional discretion
- Passionate for social change, including on good resource governance
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
LOCATION: Yangon, Myanmar (with limited travel in country and aboard)
START DATE: June 2017
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, CV/resume, and salary range to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Please include NRGI/ Myanmar Senior Officer in the subject line.