Ongoing reforms present an unprecedented opportunity to improve management of Myanmar’s multi-billion-dollar jade and gemstone industry, and reorganization of the sector may proceed most effectively if it is informed by the experience of other gemstone-producing countries.
Based on a review of international policies and practices, Governing the Gemstone Sector: Lessons from Global Experience, this briefing highlights ten areas that Myanmar’s government might consider as priorities for Myanmar’s reform process:
- Develop a jade and gemstone policy.
- Revise the legal framework.
- Reform gemstone institutions.
- Strengthen the licensing process.
- Formalize citizen miners.
- Adjust fiscal terms.
- Amend the valuation process.
- Support domestic beneficiation.
- Facilitate traceability in the supply chain.
- Improve transparency.