NRGI staff will attend the 2019 African Mining Indaba. Meet them at the following session:
Finding the Missing Millions: Using Extractive Companies' Revenue Disclosures for Tax Justice
Alternative Mining Indaba
5 February 2019, 14:15 - 15:30
Features NRGI's Kaisa Toroskainen as well as experts from Global Witness, Publish What You Pay South Africa, Publish What You Pay Zimbabwe, SATGN and Human Rights Development Initiative.
Taxation, revenue management and resource nationalism: What are the next steps for achieving the right balance?
6 February 2019, 15:40 - 16:40
- Howard Mann, associate and senior international law advisor, IISD
- Nicole Bieske, head of program, Transparency International
- Silas Olan’g, Africa co-director, Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI)
- Geneviève Jean-van Rossum, special representative for bioethics and CSR, Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, Government of France
- Hon. Eric M. Molale, Minister for Mineral Resources, Green Technology and Energy Security, Botswana
Topics to be discussed:
- Resource nationalism and the ownership conflict: How should public and private sectors react and collaborate to find a mutually beneficial resolution?
- Improving transparency at all levels: Discussing results achieved to date and the ways of closing existing gaps
- Discussing the most pressing tax issues and existing policy guidelines on how to achieve the right balance between revenue generation and provision of incentives?
Information on registration and attendance is available here.